Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bon Braper

I dedicate this post to the gracious folks at Netflix, who, despite a huge increase in their prices come September, have recently decided to make Mad Men available via Instant Streaming. I just hope Netflix never finds out how much they could really charge me for unlimited, instant-viewing of Jon Hamm...
Ian and I were big fans of the TV show Lost.

That’s a understatement.  We loved that show so much that we bought all six seasons on DVD; I got a Lost themed birthday cake last year; and we even invented our own Fantasy Lost game with a few friends for the final season where we drafted characters and assigned them points per episode.  We tearfully said goodbye to the Island in May 2010, but we still get goosebumps whenever we hear that Fray song used to promote Season 5. Even today I may sock you in the jaw if you tell me that "The Constant" is not the single best episode of television ever.  But I think we’re closing in on the fifth Kubler-Ross stage of grief, acceptance, because we’ve finally discovered a more-than-satisfying rebound:  Mad Men.

We ordered the first season on Netflix a month ago, and now we’re so infatuated with Mad Men that seeing the red square DVD envelope in our mailbox feels just like Christmas morning. As much as I like the storytelling, I enjoy the aesthetic of the 1960s the most: the colorful angualrity of the Sterling-Cooper office, the skinny black ties, the curve-hugging dresses, and Don Draper, the main character played by Jon Hamm.  Just typing his name makes me blush.

Ian likes the show, too, but Don annoys him. He agrees with me that Mr. Draper is a fine specimen of the male human form, but he gets frustrated by the general ennui and unhappiness that pervades most of the characters on the show.  Not able to empathize with those feelings, Ian decided to invent his own Mad Men character, Bon Braper:  

“Don Draper drinks bourbon and cognac; Bon Braper drinks Mountain Dew and Icees.  Don Draper sleeps around with lots of ladies to fill some kind of emotional void; Bon Braper stays home and watches Real Housewives of New York with his wife.  Don Draper watches brooding French movies in black and white; Bon Braper watches Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in 3-D.”

Best of all, Ian established a more upbeat alternative theme song for the show.  He has always been good at identifying musical themes - he even knew the melodies for each of the characters in Lost.  So whenever Mad Men gets too emotionally heavy for Ian’s tastes, he sings his Bon Braper theme. I'm sure you'll recognize it. It's the musical opposite of the Mad Men intro song -
just click the links below and listen to the first few notes of each song.

The actual Mad Men Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRr-Fb5xQo

1 comment:

Lindsey Balogh said...

"Bon Braper watches Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in 3-D." Hilarious!

ps, I just "discovered" Mad Men as well and I'm hooked!