Sunday, March 4, 2012

Good Jeans

**Life changes alert**: Ian is interviewing for new jobs, and it appears that he is highly employable.  So we've been driving to and from interviews for the past ten days or so, both in-state and out-of-state.  The logistics of the interviews and the emotions of the impending job change have kept us quite busy recently, which is why I haven't erased my chalkboard shopping list in over a week.

I've accidentally eavesdropped on some of Ian's phone interviews and listened happily as his industry knowledge melts away his insecurities, even during pointed questions.  I love how he looks after it's over, his face covered in a smile and his body relaxed in a big sigh as he tells me "Well, I think that went well!"

But as much as I love the way he looks after he's done with his phone interviews, I get a little butterfly in my stomach every time he gets dressed for his in-person interviews because he's wearing the sexiest ensemble in his wardrobe, second only to the birthday suit: the business suit.  Swoon.  Plus, we're going to a wedding at the end of the week.  Combined with the job interviews, I'm getting a year's worth of suit-wearing in one-month! Lucky me.

I'm not sure that women have a business-suit equivalent.  I don't think there's a particular item in my closet that I could wear (in public) that would immediately attract a different kind of positive male gaze.  Indeed, men always seem interested in the mere shape of our bodies, not necessarily what's covering them.  So it could be a curve-hugging dress or a plain shirt with the perfect pair of jeans.

I've always had trouble finding a great pair of jeans.  Sometimes the color is too light (mama likes her dark wash), the fabric is too stiff (I'm looking at you, Gap), or the low-rise is a little too low.  In the last instance, I usually don't realize the low-rise tragedy until I'm on the floor grooming Teddy and Ian walks behind me and says, "Hey, Annie, crack kills."

Crack is whack, y'all.  But I don't have to worry about it anymore because I think I may have found the holy grail of women's blue jeans:  Levi's Perfectly Slimming Jeans (Check out those Zappos reviews - clearly I'm not the only fan.)  I'm in love.

No, I'm not sticking it out.  Baby got back... and a little bit of front, too.

Apologies for the Eva-Longoria style over-the-shoulder pose.  Standing in the corner with my back to the camera was just a little too Blair Witch Project for my tastes.  I digress...

These blue jeans come in a variety of shades; they have a higher-waist that closes up shop in the back while locking up everything in the front; and the soft stretchy fabric gives a boost to posteriorly-gifted individuals like myself.  And if you didn't read this post about my new-found cheapness is clothes-buying, have no fear: I got these jeans on sale at Kohl's for $40.  Score.

So while Ian interviews in his business suits, I'll be hanging out in the background in my uber-comfy, uber-sexy new jeans. And if we end up moving again, these jeans will be the first thing I toss into my suitcase. 

No comments: