Friday, January 20, 2012

Chocolate-Dipped Flourless Vegan Cookie Dough


In the enduring battle between chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip cookie dough, I’m on Team Dough all the way.  Brown sugar is, hands down, my favorite baking ingredient, and no baked good truly expresses the rich sweetness of brown sugar as well as the chocolate chip cookie - especially the dough.  

Last night Ian looked incredulously at me when I declared my intention to make a healthy, salmonella-risk-free version of one of my favorite treats:  “Prepare to have your mind blown by what I’m about to make: cookie dough WITHOUT eggs, butter, or even flour.”

An hour later, I was hanging my head in defeat, convinced my over-enthusiasm had jinxed the entire project.  The cookie dough tasted like garbanzo beans and was much too thin.  Slumping my shoulders, I glopped my too-runny dough onto wax paper and let it sit in the fridge over night, hoping it would be better by morning.

Oh sweet, sweet morning. Ten hours after my self-imposed defeat, my cookie dough globs had hardened up and the bean flavor had evaporated.  Now I’m about to evaporate them.


So, prepare to have your mind blown ten hours after when you make these.  The original recipe is from Chocolate Covered Katie, but this is my adaptation:


Chocolate-Dipped Cookie Dough:

1 can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried with a paper towel
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1/4 - 1 cup rolled oats (or more to thicken)
1/2 cup of chocolate chips (or more if you want!)

In a food processor, combine beans, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, vanilla extract, oil, and oats.  Add more oats if the texture is too runny; add a bit of non-dairy milk if the texture is too thick.  Unplug food processor and mix in the chocolate chips manually.

Roll dough into balls and place on wax paper (or just scoop spoonfuls onto wax paper).  Refrigerate for one hour until hardened.

Now you can either enjoy the cookie dough by itself OR you can dip the cookie dough into melted chocolate like I did and re-refrigerate.

1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

This sounds like a fascinating experiment, I never would have used garbanzo beans in that way!