Monday, October 3, 2011

Operation Go-Vegan Begins

Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad - See Recipe Below


A few weeks ago when I was applying for a job that I wanted, I made a bet with my red-meat-loving, all-American dad:  I bet that if I didn’t get the job that we’d adopt a plant-based diet for a month.  No meat, no dairy, no eggs; just plants for 30 days.  Making the bet with my dad gave me a double boost:  it would be the silver lining to losing the job, and I’d have a built-in vegan buddy to try it out with me.  So the deal was set, and we sealed our wager with a firm handshake.  Then, perhaps because they felt excluded from our conversations about our vegan prospects, my mom and Ian joined in the wager as well.  Four players at the table, all in.  

My family accepted the bet at least in part because I had been annoying them with not-so-fun facts about animal agriculture. I was quickly turning into an animal rights version of Debbie Downer around my parents, saying things like "Oh you like that Vermont cheddar cheese? Well did you know that veal is a byproduct of the dairy industry?"

I accepted the bet because I harbored a secret desire to go vegan.  Riding the wave of my conversion to vegetarianism earlier this year, and given an extra boost by Ian’s conversion last month, I felt newly empowered to change my dietary habits and lifestyle.  So, faced with the prospect of a full month sans-cheese and butter, I did my research while I waited to hear the outcome of our bet. I practiced a few recipes, studied plant-based nutrient sources, bookmarked some vegan blogs, and learned more about the animal welfare issues in the dairy and egg industries.  Most importantly, I started reading The China Study.  The author, T. Colin Campbell, makes a strong scientific case linking illnesses like heart disease, diabetes and cancer to the consumption of animal protein, including casein in milk.  Increasingly attracted to the vegan diet because of its health, environmental, and ethical benefits, I found that the silver lining to the prospective job loss was quickly turning from silver into shiny sleek platinum.  

When I broke the news to my family last week that I did not get the job and Operation Go-Vegan would be starting soon, they reacted like the mature adults they are, with feigned confusion and desperation:  I can still have tuna, right?  Isn’t chocolate vegan?  Can we please do it in February because it's the shortest month?  Tuna is a fish; only if it’s dark chocolate; and we’re doing it in October because it’s harvest time: apples, butternut squash, and pumpkins.  February only has ice and snow and candy hearts.

Their desperation slowly gave way to acceptance, and my dad even seemed proud - dare I say enthusiastic - when he announced his pending diet shift to his classes:  “I lost a bet with my daughter and have to eat vegan for 30 days.”  The students responded incredulously, “Aw man, what are you gonna do?”  “I’m gonna eat a huge chunk of beef on Saturday night.”  Not quite the enthusiasm I was hoping for.

The family mustered up an easy enthusiasm for Ian’s birthday this weekend, where we dined like fat Australians at Outback Steakhouse.  Even Ian partook in the steak because it was his birthday and he has newly defined his eating habits as “Functo-vegetarian,” meaning that he only eats meat for important social functions like birthdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  Whatever.  Left to hoist the flag of Vegetarianism alone for the night - and fighting the urge to lean over to Ian and whisper Band of Brothers, you should watch is sometime - I enjoyed my potato soup and no-chicken / no-bacon bits salad.  

So we wished a happy birthday to Ian and bid a warm goodbye to our blood cholesterol because the next day Operation Vegan was set to begin, at the ever-important Sunday Dinner.

24-hours later the four of us had traded in our meat and cheese for legumes and leaves.  For our first vegan meal I prepared a sweet potato and quinoa salad garnished with chives, butternut squash and apple flatbread, and a spinach and cranberry salad.  We weighed ourselves, took our waist measurements, and my parents took their blood pressure - all to see how they compare in 30 days time.  

And so we’re off on our 30-day vegan challenge.  I’ll be posting more on our adventures in plant-based diet-ry over the next few weeks, including recipes of course! Below is the Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad recipe that I served last night, courtesy of food journalist Mark Bittman.  In the meantime, I have to run - I’m hungry!

Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad

2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or other small-kernel grain or 1 cup raw
1 large or 2 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes
Salt
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup minced red onion or shallot
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic, sherry, or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup minced fresh chives or parsley leaves

  1. If you haven’t already, cook the quinoa or other grain. Drain in a strainer and rinse. Meanwhile, peel the sweet potato and dice it into 1/2-inch or smaller pieces. Cook it in boiling salted water to cover until tender, about 15 minutes; drain well.
  2. Toss together the potato, quinoa, bell pepper, and onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Whisk the oil and vinegar together and toss the salad with about half of this mixture; add all or some of the rest to taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning, garnish with the chives and serve (I chilled it in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving).

1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Yum. If you're looking for another interesting flavor profile for grains + veggies, I really like cinnamon + cumin + anise. You can also add a bit of spice if you'd like. Oh---and quinoa with a bit of sugar and cinnamon with almond milk is wonderful in the morning! :)